25 August 2009

Memento Mori

«My dearest Syla,
It's been a while since I last wrote you. I wonder if you are still doing well writing your stories and making guesses. I'm finding my cases more and more difficult. I think it will be soon the day I'll need your impossible stories to solve my cases. Recently I'm trying yo solve a case involving a head of state.It seems like he was bribed to allow the construction of a tax-free transport centre where a natural park is. It's so complicated, the things you have to do and the papers to be submitted just because the charged one is an important politician. Can't it just go smoothly like with everyone else?...Whatever.
Maybe you could give me a hand some time.
Drowning under piles of paper,
Kee»
Thus was the 6th mail Keering wrote to Syla since they parted ways.
One month passed without the mail being opened, two months passed without Keering receiving the reply.
«Dear Syla,
I haven't received the reply from the last time, but concerning the Freeport case in Alputorg, Croatess, who was held as a suspect was cleared of those charges. It's quite annoying.... and I was so sure that he's guilty! I guess it can't be helped.
Please say something, even if it's to tell me that I'm a looser.
Kee»
Thus was the 7th mail Keering wrote to Syla, which did not receive a reply nor it arrived at its destination.
One month later, Keering, who didn't receive any notice from Syla, decided to pay her a visit.
When he arrived at the house where Syla used to live, he found it looking like a ghost house. No piece was left unturned in the house and it seemed not to be inhabited for a while for there was dust everywhere. Having no idea of where Syla could be, he took a walk in the forest to clear his thoughts.
"So, 4 months ago, she was okay, for she replied my letter. Then, probably 3 months ago something happened that forced her to leave her house and be unable to receive my letters? What could it be? Something suspicious is going on here..."
"For the exception that the one suspicious here is you and the something that happened didn't happen 3 months ago." Syla spoke walking out of her hiding place.
"Was I thinking aloud? You gave me a fright!" Keering was fairly surprised. "What happened to your house? It's in a real mess."
"Oh, really?" Syla faked surprise. "Why should I tell you?"
"How can you say that out of the blue? Aren't we friends? I may have not written you that often but I'm still thinking about you! Why would I care to come here if I wasn't worried about you?" Keering shouted. "You should just trust your friends!"
"How can you tell me to trust you? Can it be that you don't know you are a public security office inspector yourself?" Syla sounded desperate.
"I am an inspector, but that doesn't mean that I can't be your friend." Keering was trying to understand Syla.
"What if your friend is a wanted criminal and you are responsible for the case? What would you do?" Syla showed signs of tears.
Keering was shocked to see that Syla changed so much. She was not herself anymore, not the strong actress that he met on his way to Tomb village.
"Syla, I don't know what would I do then, but right now, I just want to help you. We'll think about that situation later, okay? Ah! That's right...I brought you the souvenir I bought in Pon. I'm not sure if you like it. It's a small plant that eventually turn into a sakura tree." He took out a small vase with a branch stick out of it and placed it in front of Syla. "Here. If you don't like it you can throw it away, I don't mind."
"I won't, not after you had the trouble of bringing it here. Thanks." Syla tried to smile but failed completely, starting to whimper.
Keering confronted with such a situation didn't know what to say nor what to do, hesitated a bit before stepping forward and hugged her.
"There was that incident which was made worldwide, about the nuclear test of Kilchu. My father.... and he commented that it may have not been nuclear at all, and the governors are trying to make it sound so, as to... and threat Aacreim with it. Then,... and he was charged for leaking national security information. ... death sentence."
Keering didn't hear everything Syla said, but he heard enough to understand what happened. He wiped her tears and tried to comfort her.
"It's hard to accept I know. Meanwhile, I'll stay by your side if you don't mind."
Syla remained silent for a while. Then, she did the unthinkable around a year ago. She clinged on Keering and huged him tightly.
"It's not the death of my father that is unacceptable. I guess, it was quite expected. I'm just afraid that the public security may want me dead as well. I just don't want to die just yet."
"Syla, it's fine. I'll do my best to protect you."
Syla seemed to calm a bit.
"What did you come here for?" she asked.
"What are you talking about? Of course I came to see you, because you didn't reply to me."
"Oh, is that so? What cases are you solving?" Syla seemed to be returning to her normal self bit by bit.
"Nothing worth mentioning." Keering seemed to care more about Syla's condition than his work.
"Then help me this." Syla pulled out a sheet of paper on which was written lots of technical information about the virus HiNi. "This is something I came across before my father was executed." She said 'executed' with so much ease that surprised Keering.
"But it happened a month and a half ago!"
"True. No one said my father was executed 3 months ago. As a matter of fact, it was 34 days ago."
"Then why did you not respond to my letter?"
"My father was being suspected, what would you do if you were me? Boast around that your father is being held suspect?"
"Sorry. So do you think this HiNi is a criminal move?"
"I don't think so. It's hard to use and control biological weapons. But if that was the case..."
"There is a high probability of skilled terrorism going around developed countries." Keering completed Syla's thoughts.
"It started in Coemix and is now all around the world. Is there any country that has not a single case?"
"No, I don't believe there is." Keering was searching his memory for answers. "How rival countries that have not many cases?"
"Maybe. I don't know. You know, I feel there is something else to it. I'm just not getting it."
"Should I take a look at the archives at the public security office to see if there's anything that might help?"
"Never mind it. I'm kinda sick of this."
"Shall we go for a trip? Maybe you should relax a bit more."
Syla agreed. And so, their hourney to Miene began.
It was a sunny day. Syla was happy and so was Keering. They were riding dragon ships.
"Beautiful. The view from here is awesome."
Keering saw for the first time Syla's true smile. Not fake, not mean, not on purpose. He was amazed how he could feel such heavenly happiness just by watching her smile.
"Is Miene a nice country?" Syla put up such an innocent face that made Keering want to kiss her. But he quickly shook off that idea.
"I don't know myself. I've never been there."
Syla wanted to ask something else when the ship rocked a bit. Then, when she could stand steady, the ship rocked again. As if trying to knock the passengers off, the ship began to rise and fall constantly and it even did a round turn.
"Are you alright? Anywhere hurt?" keering asked when he got hold of Syla's arm.
"I'm fine." Syla said, but she was trembling so much that Keering pushed her into his arms.
"Keering?" Syla's voice was tiny.
"It'll be fine." Keering garanteed even though he was rather scared himself.
Right after Keering finished speaking, the ship was torn apart and the dragons supporting the ship flew away. Luckily for Syla, but not for Keering, Syla landed on top of Keering.
"Awwww... It hurt."
As Syla didn't answer, Keering looked at her. Her eyes were tightly closed and her arms were tangled in a self hug.
"Syla, it's fine now. Could you stand please? You are sitting on me."
Syla stood up abruptly. Watching her trembling with fear, Keering hugged her again.
"See? Even tough it was rather dangerous, you managed to live out. Isn't that good?"
"Maybe." Syla sounded even more doubtful than the word 'maybe'.
"It's not maybe. There have been a lot of aircraft crashes. The one from Acerfrn disappeared without any trace."
Syla seemed like she was stroke by something.
"Wait, wait. wait. You said Acefrn?"
"Yeah. You didn't know? It's strange. It was made head news."
"What would happen if there was someone trying to be a God's envoy?"
"What do you mean?"
"I've just remembered the incident about Acefrn's aircraft. Wasn't it from Miene to Acefrn?"
"Not really, but it was something really similar. Why?"
"Look, the aircrafts that crashed all had something to do with Miene and partner countries. And we have this crucial problem called virus, right?"
"I'm following your thoughts, but I don't know what conclusion can you take from that. What is Miene?"
"One of the envoys I was talking about."
"Do you mean there are more?"
"One more. I think. Acefrn."
"Both Miene and Acefrn?"
"You see, Acefrn is a developed country and it has the means to develop defenses against the virus, even if in this case it's not being as quick as ... and .... But, when it turns into a pandemic, people in jails have less means to survive."
"So, they are envoys of justice."
"True. And about Miene. Not knowing that there was a culprit behind the scenes, is forcing aircrafts to crash, because it is the main way which the virus is being spread."
"I see. They are crushing all the ships that may bring virus."
"So Miene is the envoy of God to select people."
"But keep this as story, only between us."
"Fine. It's for your safety after all. Let's have this trip and your story as a memento for your father."
"Hmm!" Syla smiled happily.

No comments: