22 September 2013

Achievement of the day

Today I concluded the first draft to a novel I've been writing for 17 months. It's actually the second long story I've worked on.
The first one started when I was 16, in an English class. I was bored and started writing something on the footnote of an exercise sheet. Three years later, in college, I went back to that story and decided it was time to write a conclusion to it. I did write a conclusion. But as soon as I did that, I realized there were too many things missing. And also, the writing style changed over the years. It turned out to be an awkward read. I decided to put it aside and one day go back to it and thoroughly edit it.
This one, I've had the idea for a while, but I started writing it last year an April. Thinking back, it was the time in college that I was mostly free. I had less classes and didn't have many extracurricular activities. But then, September came and that year was completely hectic. Until that hiatus, according to Microsoft Office Word, I'd been writing it for 280 hours. After that busy year, I found time again this summer vacation. Since mid August I've been writing this non stop. Somehow, I concluded the first draft after 788 hours more.
This is it! 102 pages. Next vacation: revision time!

No comments: